Wednesday, 28 December 2011

BLOG #59 – THE BLACK HORSE, WHITBY, NORTH YORKS.


E-readers? What are they all about?

For the uninitiated an e-reader is a mobile electronic device that is designed primarily for the purpose of reading digital e-books and periodicals.



It is similar in form to a tablet computer. A tablet computer typically has a faster screen capable of higher refresh rates which makes it more suitable for interaction. Tablet computers also are much more versatile, allowing one to consume multiple types of content, as well as create it. The main advantages of e-readers are better readability of their screens especially in bright sunlight and longer battery life. This is achieved by using electronic paper technology to display content to readers and viewers.

Impressive stuff!

A recent survey revealed that the Amazon Kindle is the most popular e-reader in the UK (47%), followed by the Apple iPad (31%) and the Sony Reader (14%).


But let’s face it a row of e-readers on your bookshelf seems like a very mundane assembly to me where each device looks much the same – if not exactly the same – as the others. Truly boring and dull...

Give me paperbacks and real books anytime. I remember the books of my youth – especially the works of Capt. W E Johns who wrote over 100 volumes detailing the derring-do and exploits of Biggles, the RFC fighter pilot of WWI. The titles come back to me now – Biggles Secret Agent, Biggles Sees It Through, Another Job for Biggles, Biggles Delivers the Goods and my own particular favourite Biggles Flies Undone.


Interesting fact - Akathisia is the inability to sit still, an involuntary jiggling of the leg, or a terror of sitting.









The Black Horse
91 Church Street
WHITBY
North Yorkshire
YO22 4BH
Tel: 01947 602906






1 comment:

  1. My coder is trying to convince me to move to .
    net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the costs.
    But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using Movable-type on a number of websites for
    about a year and am nervous about switching to another platform.
    I have heard very good things about blogengine.

    net. Is there a way I can import all my wordpress posts into
    it? Any kind of help would be really appreciated!
    Also visit my weblog ; http://media.shialabeouf.us

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.