Friday, 16 September 2011

BLOG #46 – THE BLACK SHEEP BREWERY BAR and BISTRO, MASHAM, NORTH YORKS

Out in the Yorkshire dales; Wensleydale as it so happens...
I can count on the fingers of one hand and have three digits left over the number of occasions I’ve been tempted to ride a horse. Just not cut out for it in all honesty after I fell off on the second outing in Epping Forest. I’m more Thelma Ritter than Tex Ritter to tell the truth and gave it up as a bad job. I only agreed to do it to impress my then girlfriend anyway...




 



That was a long time ago.

I wish I had read the book included here. Basically bombproofing teaches riders how to stop horses bucking, baulking, bolting or wheeling around when sudden noises or sights frighten them – white plastic bags, flapping tarpaulin sheeting – that kind of thing. Essentially bombproofing means that you subject your horse slowly to different items and sounds that a horse may/may not ever come in contact with on their own as part of a conditioning routine so that they learn not to react negatively on future ocassions and get distressed. This is the advantage to be gained by bombproofing; you are in a better position to control the horse when it encounters a balloon popping or other sudden noise if it has been bombproof conditioned beforehand.

 



Black Sheep Brewery Bar and Bistro
Wellgarth
MASHAM
North Yorkshire HG4 4EN
Tel: 01765 680 101

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.